Sunday, November 4, 2007

BJJ Tournament

Hey everyone, most of you know by now that I ended up getting suckered into a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu tournament last weekend. I say suckered 'cause my roommates were giving me a hard time about not competing and I had to open my big mouth and say "when you pay my entrance fee I'll compete!" They paid my entrance fee!!!!!! I've got to learn to keep my mouth shut!!!



So anyway, in this tournament there were two categories Gi (traditional martial arts uniform) and No Gi. And in the women's category there were 2 weight classes: Featherweight, 130lbs, and under and Super Featherweight, 130lbs and over. I weighed in at 120, but there was no one in my weight class so I had to go up a class. The smallest girl I fought was 143 lbs!!! I fought a total of 4 matches: 2 gi and 2 no gi. I won my first fight in no gi and then lost my second- Both went the full 5 minutes and went to a judge's decision. I almost asked for a DNA test on the second girl I had to fight!!! She was a bit scary, but I was happy with my fights. I took second in No Gi.




My first BJJ match!!


Then it was on to Gi; I ended up fighting the same 2 girls with the same results. Won my first fight- I got her to TAP OUT!!! And then I lost my second Gi fight it went to judge's decision again.

Working open guard against Liz (147 lbs) durring our Gi match


My roommate Randy also competed and he took 4th in Gi in his weight class. My instructors are Bruce Caralton, probably the best all around martial artist in the State, and Alexey Cruze/Pickerel. He is a 3rd degree Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt from Brazil and is one of the highest ranking Jiu-Jitsu guys on the east cost.


Bruce, Me, Alexey, and Randy- I guess I look pretty small compared to all of them!!






Roomies and collar chokes!!!!!!!


After the tournament Randy and I went to a Pirates and Wench's Halloween party....I made him dress up as my wench (because I placed higher in the tournament then he). Here's a pic with all the roommates




No comments: